LM317 is an adjustable voltage regulator IC. In this project, we will be making a 1.25V to 37V LM317 adjustable voltage regulator circuit. This IC can provide an output current up to 1Amp. It’s a three-terminal positive voltage regulator IC.
This voltage regulator requires only two external resistors to set the supply voltage. It has a line regulation of around 0.01% and load regulation of about 0.1%. It also has a current limiter and thermal protection.
- Input: DC:0-30v / AC:0-22V
- Output: DC 1.25-28V
- Output current: 2A(Max)
- The minimum differential between input and output: 3 volts; input must be higher than the output voltage above 3V to be regulated. Buck, not boost, when input 5V output 1.25-2V, not 6V.
- Circuit board size: approx. 69 x 50 x 27mm (L x W x H)
- Adjustable output voltage range from 1.25 V to 37 V
- Output current more than 1.5 A
- Internal short-circuit current limiter
- Thermal overload protection
- Output safe-area compensation
- Power bank solutions
- Power line communication modems
- Power over ethernet (PoE)
- Power quality meters
- Power substation controls
- Private branch exchanges (PBX)
- Programmable logic controllers
- RFID readers
- Signal or waveform generators
- Software-defined radios (SDR)
- Washing machines: high-end and low-end
- X-rays: baggage scanners, medical, and dental