L293D is a basic motor driver integrated chip (IC) that enables us to drive a DC motor in either direction and also control the speed of the motor. The L293D is a 16 pin IC, with 8 pins on each side, allowing us to control the motor. It means that we can use a single L293D to run up to two DC motors. L293D consist of two H-bridge circuit. H-bridge is the simplest circuit for changing polarity across the load connected to it.
There are 2 OUTPUT pins, 2 INPUT pins, and 1 ENABLE pin for driving each motor. It is designed to drive inductive loads such as solenoids, relays, DC motors, and bipolar stepper motors, as well as other high-current/high-voltage loads.
- Wide Supply-Voltage Range: 4.5 V to 36 V
- Output Current: 600 mA Per Channel
- Peak Output Current: 1.2 A Per Channel
- Supply Voltage to the IC: 4.5V to 7V
- Transition time: 300ns (at 5Vand 24V)
- Size: 44mm* 40mm*20mm (L*W*H)
- LM393 based design
- Easy to use with Microcontrollers or even with normal Digital/Analog IC
- Small, cheap and easily available
- Fixed bolt hole for easy installation
- Comparator output, clean signal, great waveform, and strong driving ability
- Robotics Applications
- Mechatronics Applications